These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of RentJax.com or any of our advertising partners.
University of North Florida (UNF) will be starting the fall semester on Monday, August 17, 2020. UNF is promoting a culture of shared responsibility among the whole UNF community including faculty, staff, and students. They are asking that everyone gets tested for COVID-19 within 14 days of returning to school. On-campus testing will be available throughout the semester and ahead of the first day of classes, but's it's unclear how far ahead. The availability of testing will be prioritized for those students staying in on-campus housing and faculty teaching in-person classes for the fall.
8 Actions to Adhere to 14 Days Before Returning to School
Similar to what you've been hearing from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The following list provides actions UNF is asking everyone who plans to return to school in the fall adhere to prior to returning to campus.
- Social Distancing – Keep six feet between you and people outside of your home and avoid close contact with anyone who is sick inside of your home.
- Wear a mask when in close proximity to others.
- Handwashing frequently and often. Making sure to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. When this isn't possible use hand sanitizer.
- Be mindful of your health including coronavirus symptoms including but not limited to: fever, coughing and shortness of breath.
- They've developed a school pledge where they are asking everyone to share the responsibility of preventing the spread of the virus. It also outlines actions and behaviors that should be taken by the UNF community as well.
- Self-screening app – UNF is in the process of developing a self-screening app that you'll be able to download soon to help you determine if you are a risk to others.
- Take an online COVID-19 Education Course. UNF has developed a course that everyone is required to take before returning to campus this fall.
- Avoid large gatherings of 25 people or more.
How does this affect finding apartments in Jacksonville near UNF?
Most apartments near UNF have virtual tours and electronic lease signing to minimize in-person visits as much as possible. Most of these apartments in Jacksonville are requiring, just like the university, that you wear a mask and practice social distancing when possible if you do choose to go into the leasing office to ask questions or would like an in-person tour of potential apartments near UNF.
Finding an apartment in normal times can feel overwhelming, and it can feel equally so now. The good news is that RentJax.com has many resources to help guide you along the way and you don't have to sacrifice to find your perfect space. The way you find your space may be a little different, but with technology at your fingertips, it makes finding your space a little less stressful. If you need roommate matching, now is the time to start searching and start asking your potential roommate questions about their activities during the pandemic.
For more information on the reopening procedures of UNF check out their website.