Enjoy sunset on the river after a full day of fun activities near your Jacksonville apartment!
These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of RentJax.com or any of our advertising partners.
It's going to be a hot one this year, and people are ready to get out and party (responsibly, of course)! Thankfully, this area is quite happening and there are loads of fun, inexpensive things to do this summer that are convenient to your Jacksonville apartment. Whether you're on a hot date, planning a rowdy afternoon with friends, or looking for something more family-friendly, you're sure to find something here to while away a few hours without breaking the bank.
If you're a huge fan of the outdoors or perhaps want to find something educational for the kids, this is a great time to explore all of Jacksonville's gorgeous natural attractions. Here are our top picks:
- Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens – Located at the conjunction of the Trout River and the St. Johns River in the Northside neighborhood, this award-winning conservation park features a stunning botanical garden, one of the best zoos in the country, and a calendar full of entertaining events like night hikes and sleepovers. Keep in mind that this park requires tickets purchased in advance, which you can snag right here.
- Huguenot Memorial Park – Directly across the river from Mayport, this park on Fort George Island is surrounded by water on three sides and offers plenty of outdoor fun. Considered one of the best bird-watching sites in Florida, you can also snap some Insta-ready pics of majestic dunes, white sandy beaches, and stately palm trees. Driving is allowed on the beach here, and it's a great place to bring a group for fishing, kayaking, camping, and more.
- South Beach Park and Sunshine Playground – This super family-friendly park in Jax Beach has an amazing playground, a splash pad, and a skate park. It also has covered picnic shelters, which is a great place to post up in the shade and relax while the kids tire themselves out.
- Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens – One of north Florida's most breathtaking natural reserves, this attraction boasts several miles of wooded trails, perfect for a romantic hiking date. If you enjoy outdoor yoga, the park also has cyber yoga stations accessible via QR codes scattered throughout. Centrally located, this little slice of verdant paradise is super convenient to your Jacksonville apartment, no matter which neighborhood you call home.
Get Some Culture
Florida's biggest city has an impressive array of diverse arts organizations, most of which are just a short jaunt from your Jacksonville apartment. Check out some of these local cultural icons:
- Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens – The largest fine arts museum in north Florida, this jewel of Riverside offers a striking permanent collection, arts classes, and a garden that's on the National Register of Historic Places. Created in the early 20th century, the Cummer is an enriching way to spend quality time with friends or family without spending a fortune.
- The Florida Theatre – Constructed during the Golden Age of Hollywood, this magnificent movie palace and concert venue is now open for your enjoyment. The event schedule has something for everyone, with a huge selection of classic rock, dance performances, and free summer theatre.
- Metropolitan Park – Nestled right on the river in Downtown, this urban waterfront relaxation station also hosts loads of special events. Enjoy wide-open green spaces with lovely river views, check out a local farmers market, or rock out at one of their many affordable outdoor concerts.
- Museum Of Contemporary Art Jacksonville – Not your average art museum, MOCA features summer art camps, cutting-edge exhibitions, yoga classes, lunchtime lectures, and art appreciation parties and mixers only a short drive away from your Jacksonville apartment. Their yearly memberships are super affordable and help support a vital community organization.
Our Beautiful Beaches
Known as the First Coast, the Jacksonville area has some of Florida's most interesting beaches. Don't miss some of the most unique coastal destinations in our area:
- Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park – Situated close to Mayport, this local icon is loaded with natural beauty. Enjoy one and a half miles of sandy white beach, biking and hiking trails, camping, and a 60-acre freshwater lake perfect for fishing and kayaking. This beach park is also home to The Poles, a legendary surfing spot.
- Talbot Island – Take a short drive north to check out these two incredible beachfront state parks, Big and Little. Miles of hiking trails will lead you through a breathtaking natural landscape that can't be found anywhere else. The main draw is Boneyard Beach, which has a haunting display of white sand and giant black skeletal tree limbs, great for snapping artistic photos.
- Atlantic Beach – This white sandy paradise is perfect for a laid-back afternoon with friends. Leashed dogs are permitted, and there is plenty of room to spread out. Locals also love the North Beaches Art Walk, a monthly event with live performances and artisanal vendors.
Get out and enjoy this vibrant city and rising tourist destination, with new summertime adventures being planned every day that are easily within reach from your Jacksonville apartment. Whether you're making summer plans for the kids or seeking new date ideas for your boo, keep checking RentJax for upcoming events and fresh ideas!