Jacksonville's abundant natural beauty, cultural icons, and affordable lifestyle make it the perfect place to study, work, learn, and grow!
These are the opinions of writers and not the opinions of RentJax.com or any of our advertising partners.
The University of North Florida is a relaxed, laid-back campus in the heart of a vibrant Florida city. Jacksonville is a HUGE town, and thankfully UNF apartments are centrally located to loads of fun and interesting things to do that don't cost a lot of money.
Check out this handy list of some of J-ville's most interesting places to hang out with friends or family near your UNF apartment!
Now that we have a few precious months of not-scorching temps and relatively nice weather, it's the perfect time to get out and explore all the natural beauty around UNF and Jacksonville. Outdoor activities are typically free or low-cost, so these are ideal if you're struggling on a college budget.
- University of North Florida Nature Trails – These trails are great for both getting some exercise and relaxing in the sun with a picnic. The wooden boardwalk through gorgeous wetland scenery is particularly enjoyable in the fall.
- Castaway Island Preserve – Another gorgeous natural landscape, this preserve is located on the Intercoastal Waterway on the way to Jacksonville's beaches. Picturesque overlooks let you glimpse some of the area's most diverse wildlife.
- Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park – A wonderland of outdoor activities, Hanna Park offers plenty to keep your crew busy all day long. Kayak amongst the mangroves, relax on the beach, visit the kids' Splash Park, or bike around the stunning waterfront trails.
- Little Talbot Island State Park – Not far from Northside apartments, this breathtaking and secluded barrier island is the ideal spot to take absolutely amazing photos among the haunting fallen trees on the beach. Paddle along Myrtle Bluffs or bring a tent for an unforgettable camping experience.
- Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens – You're never too old to enjoy the zoo, and this is one of the nation's best. Surprisingly affordable, they have amazing animal exhibits as well an extensive botanical garden.
Get some culture
Our city is chock-full of chances to appreciate arts, culture, and the unique local flavor. Many of these things to do have no cost or offer a student discount.
- Riverside Art Market – The Riverside area is one of Jacksonville's most lovely historic districts. Every Saturday from 10am to 3pm, you can stroll the stalls and peruse art, fresh local produce, jewelry, and artisanal crafts to your heart's content.
- Stroll San Marco – Featuring some of Jacksonville's most interesting architecture, beautiful houses, shopping, and dining, the San Marco neighborhood is a fab place to walk around and absorb the atmosphere. Get a bite to eat, buy a gift, or just sit by the fountain and people watch.
- Autobahn Indoor Speedway – Indulge your need for speed by racing your friends in high-powered electric carts around a challenging indoor track. If you're a real adrenaline junky, you can show your skills at axe throwing.
- The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens – Hosting over 5,000 works of art, this isn't a boring or stuffy museum. Perched on the river near Downtown, this is a popular location for weddings and special events, as well as a delightful place to spend an afternoon without spending a bunch of money.
- St. Johns Town Center – Yes, it's a mall, remember those? Have a blast from the past and wander this consumer paradise. Explore the Lego store, browse an actual bookstore, sniff all the bath bombs at Lush, ride a Peloton bike, or snack on a huge variety of food court favorites.
This is just a taste of the massive number of things to do near your UNF apartment. Follow RentJax for tons of date night ideas, where to eat, where to party, and much more!